Agatha M. Thrash, M.D.
- Low residue foods: meat, milk, eggs, and cheese.
- White foods: sugar, starch, white bread, rice, and pastas such as macaroni, spaghetti, etc.
- Inadequate water.
- Too little exercise.
- Skipping breakfast.
- Eating hurriedly. Tense lifestyle.
- Ignoring the urge to eliminate.
- Overeating or undereating.
- Poor posture; shallow breathing.
- Constricting bands of clothing.
- Gardening for 1-3 hours daily is the best exercise. If gardening is not available, one should walk to tolerance daily (1/2-1 hours), head up, breathing deeply. Use a deep breathing exercise once daily: Take a deep breath through the nose and hold it for a slow count of 20; exhale fully through the nose and hold the breath out for a slow count of 10. Repeat 10 to 40 times. May be done while driving, walking, or other activity. Tension and stress are relieved through exercise.
- Correct poor posture through appropriate arm, shoulder, and low back exercises.
- Drink water until urine is pale.
- Use 1-4 tablespoons of bran daily in food. Eliminate entirely all constipating foods. Eat only whole-grain breads, cereals, and pastas. Use plenty of raw fruits and vegetables. Leave those sweet things alone.
- Reduce body weight at least down to average, and 5 to 10 percent below average is probably ideal. Figure 100 pounds for your first 5 feet in height and add 5 pounds for each inch above 5 feet if you are a woman, and add 7 pounds for each inch over 5 feet if you are a man, to obtain your average weight.
- Maintain regularity in all things: mealtimes, bedtime, arising time, etc. Have a set time for eliminations; probably best upon arising or within one hour after a good breakfast.
- Drink two cups of slightly hot water at the “set time.”
- Use a mild herb tea such as senna, if needed on occasion. Use ½ teaspoon of tea leaves to 1 cup of boiling water. Set aside to steep for 10-15 minutes.
- Try eating 4-6 olives with each meal to relieve constipation.
- No article of clothing should leave even a faint mark on the skin.
- Use one ear syringe of cold water as a small enema to initiate urge.
For more information contact:
Uchee Pines Lifestyle Center
30 Uchee Pines Road #75
Seale, Alabama 36875